Wednesday 29 July 2009

I've seen what Galileo saw

Clear sky, Tramontana (a Northern wind known to be very dry in Southern Italy), new moon, neighbourhood lights off: perfect occasion to dust off my brother's telescope and do some night-sky observations.

A refracting telescope, 10cm objective lens and two 34mm and 20mm eyepieces; not so bad for the Moon and planets.

I tried to spot some stars but they were too faint because of that damn light pollution, so I decided to see one of the most luminous astral bodies in the Northern Sky: Jupiter.
After some focusing, I spotted Jupiter with its prominent lighter-hued zones.
But I also noticed what at first sight I thought were some refractions/reflections. There were smaller dots aligned near Jupiter, with different brightness. They were too strange to be some optical effect, so the second assumption was: the Jupiter's moons!
That dots were quite far from Jupiter, in my opinion, to be its moons so I wasn't so sure about that, but they were four (as the Galilean moons), aligned and with different sizes.
I took a picture with my phone (one of the most difficult things in my life, but I was determined to take it) and the result is a very fuzzy and dirty image. Unfortunately the view through the telescope was much clearer and defined, but it can get the idea across (click on the image to enlarge):

Jupiter and its four Galilean moons, from telescope



After reversing and some photoshopping (or better "gimping"):


Jupiter and its four Galilean moons, from telescope, now highlighted


Then I immediately checked with Stellarium what kind of bodies they could be, whether Jovian moons or stars. This is the screenshot:

Stellarium view of Jupiter and its Galilean moons, corresponding to reality!




Fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment