Saturday 25 July 2009

Firefox and Thunderbird Backup folders (Windows and Linux)

Making backups periodically is a very good habit.

Personally I've lost a lot of data thanks to thunderstorms, super-heated HDDs or just random broken hardware, enough to make backup of every single bit of data on my notebook.
Sometimes it's like a curse: if you don't make backups, some thunder will burn your hard-disk... and it happens... regularly.

I find very useful to save settings, especially those on my web and mail browser, that is full of themes, add-ons, feeds, bookmarks and other preferences that I wouldn't really like to lose.
I use Firefox and Thunderbird as internet browser and mail platform and I find them the most customizable and fluent software in that field.

So I'd just like to remind you to make a backup of your settings (yes, don't be lazy, make it now!). The profile folders (that contain almost everything) are located in:


Firefox

Windows XP: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\ (note: %APPDATA% is equivalent to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data)
Linux: ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default/


Thunderbird

Windows XP: %APPDATA%\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\
Linux: ~/.thunderbird/xxxxxxxx.default/


A very good tool to make automatic and scheduled backups in Firefox is the FEBE add-on.

No comments:

Post a Comment